Vehicle registration with the Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services requires the vehicle’s title, the resident’s driver’s license or ID, proof of car insurance, an odometer reading, and payment for your applicable registration fee.

MN residents can register their vehicles in person or by mail.

Registering a Vehicle in Minnesota

The following information is for conducting first-time vehicle registrations with the Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS).

New Residents of Minnesota

Residents who are new to Minnesota and whose current out-of-state vehicle registration is still valid, have 60 days to register their car with the Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) once they establish residency.

If the out-of-state registration expires soon, residents of Minnesota must register their car with the DVS before it expires. If the out-of-state registration has already expired or if residents had to surrender their plates after leaving the state, individuals must register their car before they drive it in Minnesota.

Residents will need to provide the following:

  • Proof of vehicle ownership (original vehicle title or current registration card).
  • Proof of identification.
  • A completed Application to Title and Register a Motor Vehicle (Form PS2000).
  • The current odometer reading of your vehicle.
  • A copy of your leasing agreement, if applicable.
  • Proof of vehicle insurance.

* Note: Don’t forget to also apply for an MN driver’s license, and if residents have additional questions about registering their vehicle as a new resident, feel free to contact the local DVS office or call the DVS help desk at (651) 297-2126.

In order to legally operate a vehicle in the state, including parking it on public roads, MN residents must register it with the Minnesota DVS. Vehicle registrations may be completed either in person or by mail and must be renewed every year.

NOTE: Minnesota residents who purchased their vehicle from a dealer, will not have to handle the registration process. The dealership will also help residents complete a title transfer in order to transfer the registration into their name. Residents need to make sure they have an active car insurance policy when registering their vehicle.

Register in Person

To register a vehicle in person, residents of Minnesota must go to their local DVS office and be prepared to present the following:

  • Original vehicle title (if the title is not available residents may use a current vehicle registration card).
  • If the title shows a lien that has been satisfied residents will also need a completed Notification of Assignment – Release or Grant of Secured Interest (Form PS2017). All owners are required to sign the application.
  • Proof of identification (driver’s license, birth certificate, etc.).
  • Vehicle odometer reading.
  • Proof of auto insurance.
  • A copy of the lease agreement or power of attorney from the lessor, along with the leasing company’s Minnesota Tax ID number, if applicable.
  • Payment for necessary fees (see below).
  • A completed Application to Title and Register a Motor Vehicle (Form PS2000).

MN residents will be given Minnesota license plates, registration decals, and a certificate of vehicle registration that should be kept in their vehicle at all times.

Register by Mail

Residents who are unable to appear in person at a Minnesota DVS office may complete their car registration by mail.

Send the following to the DVS:

  • A completed Application to Title and Register a Motor Vehicle (Form PS2000).
  • Proof of ownership.
  • Vehicle odometer reading.
  • Proof of vehicle insurance.
  • Payment for your vehicle registration fees (check or money order only).

Mail everything to the following address:

Minnesota DVS
445 Minnesota St
St Paul, MN 55101

Allow the DVS up to 10 days to process the Minnesota vehicle registration. MN residents will receive their new registration certificate and license plates via mail.

NOTE: Minnesota residents may update their address while registering by mail or by entering their information on the back of the application form. Residents who are changing their name on their registration must renew in person.

Vehicle Registration Fees

Standard administrative and license plate fees that all applicants must pay include:

  • Filing fee: $11.
  • Double plates: $8.
  • Single plates (vehicles model year 1972 and older OR collector vehicles): $6.
  • Motorcycle or moped plates: $6.
  • Wheelage tax (if applicable): up to $20.

Other Minnesota vehicle registration fees vary and are based on taxes that are determined by both the value and age of the vehicle. For example, vehicles 10 years old and older pay a minimum of $35. Motorcycles carry a $10 tax, and mopeds have a registration tax of $6.

To help get an estimate on how much MN residents must pay to register their vehicle, individuals can calculate their fee with the Minnesota Tax Manual, contact their local DVS office, or call the DVS help desk at (651) 297-2126.

Registering a Motorcycle in Minnesota

Before residents can legally operate a motorcycle on the road in Minnesota, they’ll need to have it registered with the MN Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) division. Whether residents are new to Minnesota or longtime residents, they can use this guide to learn about registering their motorcycle in The Land of 10,000 Lakes.

New Minnesota Residents

After establishing Minnesota residency, new residents of MN have a grace period of 60 days to register their motorcycle.

New MN residents can visit their local deputy registrar office with:

  • The motorcycle’s current out-of-state title AND registration.
  • If the motorcycle is leased, bring the leasing paperwork AND lienholder information.
  • A completed Application to Title and Register a Motor Vehicle (Form PS2000).
  • The acceptable documentation to prove identity.
  • A current odometer reading.
  • Proof of Minnesota motorcycle insurance.
  • Payment for any applicable motorcycle registration fees.

How to Get a Motorcycle Registration in Minnesota

When MN residents purchase a new motorcycle, the steps for registration can differ depending on if they bought it from a Minnesota dealership OR private seller. Below are the steps residents need to take to register their motorcycle with the MN Driver and Vehicle Services.

Motorcycles from Dealerships

When residents purchase a motorcycle from a dealership in Minnesota, the dealership agent can take care of the registration process for them. All applicable motorcycle registration fees are usually included in the purchase price. The dealership may also issue a temporary registration permit, valid for 21 days. MN residents should receive their permanent motorcycle registration and plates before the temporary permit expires. Check with the dealer for more information.

Motorcycles from Private Sellers

When residents of MN purchase a motorcycle from a private seller, they must handle the registration process themselves.

Residents can do this in person or by mail. To do so, first gather the following:

  • The title for the motorcycle, which must include:
    • Signatures from the buyer AND seller.
    • An odometer disclosure unless the motorcycle is 10 years old or older.
    • A damage disclosure completed by the seller, unless the motorcycle is 6 years old or older.
    • The motorcycle’s vehicle identification number (VIN).
    • A statement of the motorcycle’s engine size on the front of the title.
    • A completed Application to Title and Register a Motor Vehicle (Form PS2000).
    • Proof of Minnesota motorcycle insurance.
    • A completed bill of sale.
    • Copy of the lease agreement, if applicable.
    • The Minnesota motorcycle license.

Payment for all appropriate fees and taxes. See the section on motorcycle registration fees below for complete details.

To complete the registration process:

  • Take the required items to your local MN deputy registrar’s office.


Mail the above items to:

Minnesota DVS
445 Minnesota St
St Paul, MN 55101

Motorcycle Registration Fees & Taxes

MN residents may be required to pay the following fees and taxes when they register their motorcycle with the Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services:

  • Motorcycle registration tax: $10.
  • Motorcycle plate fee: $6.
  • Motor vehicle sales tax: 6.5% of your motorcycle’s total purchase price or fair market value (whichever’s higher).
  • State/deputy filing fee: $11.

Registering a Boat in Minnesota

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) oversees the titling and registration of all vessels. On this page, we’ll outline the steps to titling and registering a boat AND the qualifications required to operate watercraft on MN waters.

MN Boats Requiring Registration

The Minnesota DNR requires the following types of vessels to be registered:

  • All motorized watercraft.
  • All non-motorized vessels that exceed 10 ft. in length.

The following types of watercraft are exempt from registration with the MN DNR:

  • Vessels currently registered in another state used in Minnesota for no more than 90 consecutive days
  • Boats from another country kept in Minnesota for no more than 90 consecutive days
  • U.S. government-owned vessels (except those used for recreational purposes).
  • Documented vessels.
  • Ship’s lifeboat.
  • Duck boats used during duck hunting season.
  • Rice boats used during the harvest season.
  • Seaplanes.

MN residents who aren’t sure about whether their boat requires registration, call the MN Department of Natural Resources at (651) 296-6157.

Vessels Requiring a MN Title

The DNR requires certain vessels over 16 ft. in length to have a Minnesota title.

Exceptions to this rule include:

  • Boats registered out-of-state, being used in MN for more than 90 days.
  • Vessels manufactured before August 1, 1979.
  • Watercraft measuring 16 ft. or less.
  • Rowboats with oar locks that have an outboard motor with less than 40 HP.
  • Documented vessels.
  • Canoes and kayaks.
  • Lifeboats.
  • Waterfowl boats used during the hunting season.
  • Rice boats operating during the harvesting season.
  • Vessels owned by manufacturers up for sale OR used only for testing purposes.
  • Boats owned by a licensed resort or recreational area.
  • Rowing shell or scull.
  • Watercraft owned by an entity of the U.S. government.

Residents of MN can call the MN Department of Natural Resources at (651) 296-6157 if they aren’t sure if their boat requires titling.

Title and Registering a Boat in MN

For new boat purchases, if the vessel is greater than 16 ft. long, the dealer will handle the registration and titling processes.

For all other watercraft, residents must title and register the vessel with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources within 15 days of purchasing the boat.

Begin by gathering:

  • A completed Watercraft Title & Registration Application (Form LB014).
  • Documentation to prove ownership of the vessel, such as a properly assigned:
  • Manufacturer’s statement of origin.
  • Boat title.
  • Registration certificate.
  • A purchase receipt showing you paid MN sales tax on the vessel.
  • The applicable boat title and registration fees.

In-person at any Minnesota DVS office.

MN residents will receive their vessel’s title and registration certificates and decals immediately.

By mail to:

DNR License Center
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155

The boat registration is valid for 3 years.

MN Boat Title & Registration Fees

MN residents may be expected to pay the following fees for title and registration with the MN Department of Natural Resources:

Original/renewal registration for:

  • Canoes, kayaks, sailboats (sailboats 19 ft. or less in length), sailboards, rowing shells, paddle boards, and paddle boats: $10.50 PLUS $10.60 aquatic invasive species surcharge.
  • Personal watercraft: $37.50 PLUS $10.60 aquatic invasive species surcharge.
  • Watercraft used for pleasure (depends on length of vessel):
  • Under 17 ft.: $18
  • 17 to 19 ft.: $27
  • Over 19 ft. to under 26 ft.: $45
  • 26 ft. to under 40 ft.: $67.50
  • 40 ft. and over: $90 PLUS

For all of the above, residents must also pay a $10.60 aquatic invasive species fee.

  • Vessel title all issued titles require an additional $7 issuance fee.
  • Original title: $15.
  • Duplicate title: $4.
  • Transfer: $10.

Per lien:

  • Added: $10.
  • Released: Free.
  • Reassigned: $1.
  • Sales tax: Varies according to your MN county of residence—use the Department of Revenue’s sales tax calculator for an idea of what a resident might owe.

Vessel registration issuing fees. ALL registration transactions require an issuing fee:

  • New OR transferring registration: $8.50.
  • Registration renewal AND transfer: $4.50 PLUS $8.50.
  • Renewal OR duplicate registration certificate/decals: $6.


  • Registration certificate: $4.50 + issuing fee.
  • Registration decal: Free + issuing fee.
  • Minnesota Boat Registration Renewals

Boat registrations are valid for 3 years, and expire on December 31 of the final year. The Minnesota DNR will mail residents a renewal notice just before the expiration date.

To renew your vessel’s registration, provide information about your boat AND the appropriate renewal fees:

  • Online using the DNR’s online licensing system.
  • In-person at any Minnesota DVS office OR at the Department of Natural Resources’ license center.

Duplicate MN Boat Titles & Registrations

If a boat title or registration is lost or destroyed, residents of Minnesota need to request a duplicate.

To request a duplicate boat registration, residents need to know their vessel’s:

  • Registration number.
  • Hull identification number (HIN).
  • Physical description.

Provide the information above along with the necessary registration replacement fees:

  • In-person at a DNR licensing agent’s office OR at the DNR’s licensing center.
  • By mail to:

DNR License Center
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155

To apply for a replacement vessel title, residents of Minnesota need to mail a completed Application for Duplicate Watercraft Title (REV 2014) AND the applicable duplicate title fees to the address on the form.

MN Boater Qualifications

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources imposes certain age restrictions when it comes to operating motorized vessels on state waters. If MN residents are:

Under 12 years old, they:

  • Can operate motorboats with 25 HP or less unsupervised.
  • Must be accompanied by a supervisor at least 21 years old to operate vessels 25 to 75 HP.
  • CANNOT operate watercraft with more than 75 HP (regardless of supervision).

12 to 17 years old:

  • Can use vessels with 25 HP or less without supervision.

For watercraft over 25 HP you must either:

  • Have a watercraft operator’s permit to operate the vessel unsupervised.


  • Have a supervisor with you who’s at least 21 years old.

To earn your watercraft operator’s permit, residents of MN need to complete a boating safety course. The DNR allows residents to fulfill the education requirement:

Online through Minnesota’s approved boater education provider, listed on the DNR’s boat and water education page.


In the classroom with one of many education providers across the state.

Even if residents of MN aren’t required to take a boater safety course, they should still consider the benefits of completing one—not only will they make Minnesota’s waters safer, but they may also be able to get a discount on their boat insurance rates.

Accepted Forms of Payment

The Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) accepts these forms of payments:

  • Cash
  • Personal check
  • Money order

Mailed in payments cannot use cash as a form of payment.

Leave a Reply