"Your guidance was invaluable throughout the entire process."
Commonly Used California DMV Forms
For your convenience, please feel free to use any of the following DMV forms free of charge.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view, fill-in and print the following forms:
- Application for Duplicate or Transfer of Title (REG 227)
Use this form to replace a lost California vehicle title.
- Application for Replacement Plates, Stickers, Documents (PDF) (REG 156)
Use this form to replace a lost plate, sticker, registration card, disabled person placard or disabled person ID card.
- Application for Temporary Smog Exemption for a Vehicle Located Out-of-State (PDF) (REG 5103)
Use this form if your vehicle is temporarily out of state and you need a smog exemption.
- Application for Title or Registration (PDF) (REG 343)
Use this form if you need to obtain a new original title for a vehicle that has never been titled in California.
- Application for Vehicle License Fee Refund (PDF) (REG 65)
Use this form to apply for a refund of vehicle license fees that were previously paid to the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Bill of Sale (PDF) (REG 135)
Use this form if you have bought or sold a California vehicle.
- Certificate of Non-Operation/Planned Non-Operation Certification (PDF) (REG 102)
Use this form if you wish to file a certificate of non-operation on a California vehicle registration.
- Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (CGW) (PDF) (REG 4008)
Use this form to declare the gross weight of a California commercial vehicle of 10,001 pounds or more.
- Lien Satisfied/Legal Owner/Title Holder Release (PDF) (REG 166)
Use this form if you need your lienholder or bank to release security interest on your California vehicle title.
- Nonresident Military Exemption Statement (PDF) (REG 5045)
Use this form if you or your spouse are non-resident, active military and stationed in California.
- Notice of Change of Address (PDF) (DMV 14)
Use this form to report a change of address to the California DMV for your vehicle registration and/or drivers license.
- Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability (PDF) (REG 138)
Use this form to report the sale of your vehicle to the California DMV.
- Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) Application and Certification (PDF) (REG 4017)
Use this form if you wish to obtain a California certificate of title on a permanent trailer or transfer a PTI trailer.
- Power of Attorney (PDF) (REG 260)
Use this form to appoint someone to sign California DMV documents on your behalf.
- Special Interest License Plate Application (PDF) (REG 17)
Use this form to apply for special interest or personalized license plates.
- Statement of Facts (PDF) (REG 256)
Use this form to declare general facts or to obtain a smog exemption, sales tax exemption, transfer a title with non-operation, wheelchair window decals and declaration of vehicle body changes.
- Statement to Record Ownership/Statement of Error or Erasure (PDF) (REG 101)
Use this form to declare errors or erasures on a California vehicle title.
- Vehicle Emission System Statement (Smog) (PDF) (REG 139)
Use this form if you have sold a California vehicle and you have obtained a smog test within the past 90 days.