To register a vehicle in Wyoming, individuals must go to their county treasurer’s office in person. Bring the vehicle title, proof of insurance, and payment for the registration fee. If the vehicle is leased, new to the state, purchased from a dealer, or heavier than a standard car, individuals will need to submit additional items (see below).

Registering a Vehicle in Wyoming

The Wyoming Department of Transportation (DOT) requires all drivers to register their vehicles and carry proof of registration in the vehicle.

Residents of Wyoming must register their vehicle in person at their local Wyoming county treasurer’s office. Individuals cannot register their vehicle online, by mail, or by phone.

New to Wyoming?

Wyoming law requires all new WY residents to register their vehicles as soon as they become residents of the state. To be considered a Wyoming resident, individuals must meet any of the following requirements:

  • Work in Wyoming and own, rent or lease a residence.
  • Purchase or hold a current resident hunting or fishing license.
  • File a homestead tax exemption.
  • File a military tax exemption.
  • Live in Wyoming for 120 days.

Once individuals satisfy Wyoming residency requirements, they must visit their local county treasurer’s office to register their vehicle. For detailed instructions, see “Registering a Vehicle in Wyoming” below.

Temporary Worker Registrations

Individuals who are employed in Wyoming for less than 120 days must obtain temporary registration for their vehicle. Individuals must apply in person at their local WY county treasurer office. Temporary worker registrations are available on a month-to-month basis. The fee is $50.

Temporary Permit Exemptions

Individuals do NOT have to apply for a temporary work permit if they:

  • Commute to work in Wyoming but reside in a neighboring state.
  • Attend a university or college full time in Wyoming.

However, these individuals must hold current/valid registration from their home state.

Temporary In-Transit Permit

The Wyoming Department of Transportation (DOT) offers in-transit permits for 48 hours that allow individuals to transport a vehicle outside of WY. These individuals must submit proof of insurance and other documentation to a Wyoming county treasurer office. The fee is $20 per vehicle.

Registering a Vehicle in Wyoming

Residents of Wyoming need to make sure they have an active car insurance policy when registering their vehicle.

To register a vehicle in Wyoming, residents must visit their local county treasurer’s office and bring:

  • A copy of the vehicle title (or the title number).
  • Current registration from your previous state (if applicable).
  • Proof of insurance.
  • The vehicle identification number (VIN), if the vehicle is currently financed.
  • A copy of the dealer invoice, if individuals purchased the vehicle at a dealership.
  • The lease agreement (if applicable).
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title and VIN/HIN Inspection (MV-300A).

A weight slip, if residents are registering a:

  • Pick-up truck.
  • Motor home.
  • Trailer (except pull-behind campers) or a horse trailer with living quarters.
  • Payment for all required county and state fees and taxes.

See “WY Registration Fees and Penalties” below.

Vehicle Registration Fees

The Wyoming DOT charges both a county fee and state fee for vehicle registration.

County Fee

County fees vary by county. These are property taxes based on the price listed on the title and year of service rate (or valuation percentage).

Use the following formula to calculate the county fee:

Factory Cost X Year of Service Rate (see below) X .03 = County Fee

Service Rates

The following services rates for Wyoming are as follows:

  • 1st Year: 60%.
  • 2nd Year: 50%.
  • 3rd Year: 40%.
  • 4th Year: 30%.
  • 5th Year: 20%.
  • 6th Year: 15%.

State Fee

The Wyoming vehicle registration fees are as follows:

  • Passenger vehicles: $30.
  • Trucks and trailers: $2 to $60.
  • Motorcycles: $25.
  • Campers: $30 to $90.
  • Temporary vehicle registration fee: $50 per month.
  • Temporary in-transit permit: $20 per vehicle (valid for 48 hours).

For more information about the specific fees in WY, please contact the local county treasurer’s office directly.

Registering a Motorcycle in Wyoming

Between its wide-open spaces and diverse, beautiful environment, one wonders why anyone in WY drives a car.

WY residents who prefer the wind in their hair while taking in the vistas in the open air need to get their motorcycle license through the Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDOT).

New to Wyoming

Congratulations on the move! Once individuals are officially settled in Wyoming, they have 1 year to transfer their out-of-state license.

There are a few exceptions to this rule, however. Ask the local WYDOT office about the timeframe for transferring licenses from:

  • Georgia.
  • Massachusetts.
  • Michigan.
  • Tennessee.
  • Wisconsin.

To begin the WY registration process, visit a WYDOT office and provide:

  • Social Security number (SSN).
  • Identity.
  • Current WY residence—requires 2 documents.
  • The Wyoming DOT has a full list of acceptable residency and identity documents.
  • Have your photo taken.
  • Pass a vision screening.
  • Pay the appropriate motorcycle licensing fee.

WY residents need to make sure they have the proper documentation before visiting a Wisconsin DMV office.

The Department of Transportation may also require individuals to take a written and/or road test. This step is at the discretion of the Wyoming DOT. While the requirement is rare, it may be wise to prepare for both exams.

After completing all of the above, individuals will be issued their Wyoming motorcycle license.

Motorcycle Eligibility Requirements

In Wyoming, permission to ride a motorcycle is given through an endorsement attached to the regular Wyoming driver’s license. If this is a resident’s first time applying for any license in Wyoming, they’ll also need to follow the steps to earn a standard Wyoming driver’s license.

To earn a Wyoming motorcycle endorsement, residents must:

Be at least:

  • 15 years old to earn a permit.
  • 17 years old to obtain a full license.
  • Present all proper identifying documents, if this is your first WY license.
  • Provide proof of a motorcycle education course, if applicable.

This allows residents to waive the motorcycle written and skills tests.

  • Pass a written test.

WY residents will earn their motorcycle permit at this point.

  • Pass a motorcycle skills test prior to testing for the full license (unless individuals took the aforementioned education course).

How to Get a WY Motorcycle Permit

Wyoming residents who are least 15 years old and ready to pursue their motorcycle permit can visit their local WY Department of Transportation office, and:

  • Take the written motorcycle test.

Residents can skip this step completely by passing a motorcycle education course (see below).

  • Pass a vision screening.

Pay the motorcycle permit fee:

  • Restricted instruction permit: $10.
  • Instruction permit: $20.

At this point, WY residents should be issued one of several permit types, depending on their age and driving experience… keep reading for details.

Permit Types & Limitations

Residents of Wyoming who are at least 15 years old will be issued a restricted-use instruction permit, which:

  • Is valid for 90 days.
  • Does NOT allow individuals to carry passengers.

Wyoming residents who also pass a driving test, will instead receive an instruction permit valid for 1 year. Ask the local WYDOT office for more details.

Residents may also qualify for an intermediate permit if they:

  • Are at least 16 years old.
  • Have at least 50 hours driving practice.

Must include at least 10 hours of night driving.

  • Have a parent or guardian certify your practice hours.

NOTE: Intermediate permit holders are also not allowed to carry passengers.

Wyoming Motorcycle Skills Test

The final piece of the motorcycle endorsement puzzle is successfully passing a skills test.

WY residents need to make sure the WYDOT office they plan on visiting offers motorcycle road testing. There may also be an additional fee to take the skills test. Individuals need to ask their local testing office for more information.

How to Get a Motorcycle Endorsement in Wyoming

Wyoming residents will be eligible for their Wyoming motorcycle endorsement after either:

  • Passing your written and skills tests through the WYDOT.


  • Successfully completing a motorcycle education course (see below).

The rest is easy. Residents can head to their local Wyoming DOT office with:


  • Proof of passing your written and skills tests.


  • The motorcycle education course completion card and a Wyoming driver’s license.
  • The motorcycle permit, if applicable.
  • The $11 motorcycle endorsement fee.

If this is the first license residents applied for in Wyoming, they’ll also need:

  • The $40 WY license fee.
  • All proper forms of identification.

Additional fees or forms may apply. Contact the local WYDOT office for more information.

Motorcycle Education Courses in Wyoming

Participating in a Basic Rider Course (BRC) is another option for getting your Wyoming motorcycle permit. To qualify, WY residents need to:

  • Be at least 15 years old.
  • Participants under 18 years old must have written permission from a parent or guardian.
  • Pay the proper fee, including:
  • $50 for Wyoming residents.
  • $150 for non-residents.

To get started, check out the course schedule, and sign up for a class online.

Motorcycle Testing Waiver

Successfully passing the education course allows individuals to skip out on taking the written or skills test with the Wyoming Department of Transportation.

Instead, residents can be issued a course completion card from the course instructor.

Wyoming residents need to bring the course of completion card with them when applying for their motorcycle endorsement. The course completion card is valid for 2 years after the card was issued.

WY Motorcycle Endorsement Fees

The Wyoming Department of Transportation charges the following for motorcycle endorsements and related services:

  • Restricted instruction permit (90 days): $10.
  • Instruction permit (1 year): $20.

Motorcycle education course:

  • Wyoming residents: $50.
  • Non-residents: $150.
  • Motorcycle endorsement: $11.
  • Original Wyoming license: $40

Registering a Boat in Wyoming

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department (WFGD) oversees all vessel titling and registration. Keep reading to learn more about Wyoming boat titles and registrations and the qualifications needed to boat on the Cowboy State’s waterways.

Wyoming Boats to Title & Register

ALL motorized boats (including those with trolling motors) must be titled and registered with the Wyoming Game and Fish Department. Wyoming residents cannot apply for a new or transferred vessel registration unless their watercraft is titled.

Residents don’t need to worry about titling and registering the following types of vessels:


  • Canoes and kayaks.
  • Sailboats.
  • Sailboards.
  • Rowboats.
  • Vessels owned by an entity of the U.S. government.

Boats registered in another state and not kept in Wyoming for more than 90 consecutive days.

Residents who’d like confirmation about whether their boat requires a title and registration, call any WFGD office.

Boat Registration in Wyoming

BEFORE submitting a registration application to the Game and Fish Department, residents need to make sure their boat has a Wyoming title and valid hull identification number (HIN).

WY Boat HIN & Title

If the boat doesn’t have an HIN, residents will need to visit their local WGFD regional office to apply for one.

When the vessel has an HIN but has never been titled in Wyoming, residents of this state need to complete a HIN inspection, at any law enforcement agency or participating WGFD office (call ahead to make sure the agency performs HIN inspections).

The authorized inspection agent will need to fill out the HIN inspection portion of the Application for Certificate of Title and VIN/HIN Inspection Form (Form MV-300A).

Then Wyoming residents can apply for their Wyoming vessel title by heading to their local county clerk’s office with the following:

  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title and VIN/HIN Inspection Form (Form MV-300A).
  • A bill of sale for the vessel.

A document to prove ownership of the boat, such as:

  • Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin.
  • Properly-assigned boat title.
  • The appropriate fees for a WY vessel title.

Once residents have their Wyoming boat HIN and title, they can register their vessel!

Registering a Boat

To register a boat with the WY Game and Fish Department, start by collecting the following items:

  • A completed Watercraft Registration Application.
  • A proof of ownership for vessels previously titled:
  • In Wyoming: Properly-assigned Wyoming boat title.
  • Out-of-state: Properly-assigned out-of-state vessel title and out-of-state registration or renewal notice.
  • Payment for the applicable watercraft registration fees.

Then, Wyoming residents can submit their registration application by any of the following methods:

  • In person at any WGFD regional office.
  • By mail to:

Wyoming Game and Fish Department Headquarters
5400 Bishop Blvd
Cheyenne, WY 82006

Residents of Wyoming can choose to register their boat for 1 year or 3 years.

Wyoming Vessel Title & Registration Fees

The costs associated with titling and registering a boat with the WGFD are as follows:

  • Boat title: Varies by county.

Original/renewed vessel registration (includes aquatic invasive species fee) valid for:

  • 1 year: $40.
  • 3 years: $110.
  • Replacement:
  • Boat registration: $10.

State sales tax: 4% of the sale price.

  • Local: Varies according to the resident’s WY county of residence—check out the most recent tax rate chart for specifics.

WY Boat Renewals & Replacements

Boat Registration Renewals

Wyoming boat registrations are valid for either 1 year or 3 years. The registration will expire on December 31st in the final registration year; the last 2 digits on your hull decal indicate the expiration year.

The WY Game and Fish Department will mail residents a renewal notice before their registration expires. Individuals can renew their vessel registration by any of the following methods:

  • Online by submitting information about the boat and the credit/debit card number to pay the necessary renewal fees through the WGFD’s renewal portal.
  • By turning in a completed Watercraft Registration Application (with renewal box marked) AND the appropriate fees for registration renewal:
  • In person at any WGFD regional office.


  • By mail to:

Wyoming Game and Fish Department Headquarters
5400 Bishop Blvd
Cheyenne, WY 82006

Remember, even if Wyoming residents don’t receive a renewal notice, they are still responsible for renewing their boat’s registration on time!

Replace a Lost Boat Title & Registration

If the boat’s title and/or registration are lost or damaged, Wyoming residents can request duplicates.

To request a replacement Wyoming vessel title, residents of this state need to provide the following at the county clerk’s office:

  • A notarized affidavit stating why residents need a replacement title (Wyoming residents can call the county clerk’s office for specifics on what they should include in the affidavit).

The fee to replace a boat title.

To apply for a duplicate boat registration, gather the following items:

  • A completed Wyoming Watercraft Application (with the duplicate box checked).
  • The replacement registration fee of $10.

Submit the above items for a replacement boat registration:

  • In person at a Wyoming Game and Fish Department regional office.


  • By mail to:

Wyoming Game and Fish Department Headquarters
5400 Bishop Blvd
Cheyenne, WY 82006

Boater Qualifications in Wyoming

In Wyoming, no one younger than 16 years old can operate a registered motorboat, including a jet ski, unless accompanied by an adult 18 years old or older.

To improve a person’s boating skills, residents of Wyoming may consider taking a boater education class—check out the WGFD’s boating education page for a list of affiliated boating safety course providers.

Not only will completing a course make Wyoming residents a safer boater, but it could also qualify them for discounts on boat insurance. Keep Wyoming waters and your wallet safe by enrolling today!

Accepted Forms of Payment

The Wyoming Department of Transportation does not accept cash for payment. The following forms of payment are accepted:

  • Debit cards
  • Credit cards
  • Checks
  • Money orders

Wyoming residents need to make sure they have an acceptable method of payment before visiting a local Wyoming DMV to avoid late fees and other penalties.

Leave a Reply