When you need to transfer your vehicle’s title to Wyoming, there are different steps you need to take, and specific documents you need to submit to your local Wyoming Department of Transportation (WY DOT) office. Some steps you are required to take include:

  • Obtaining the vehicle title from the vehicle’s seller, and having it assigned to you
  • Complete the vehicle title application form
  • Gather proof of identity and residency in WY
  • Provide the required documents and all applicable payments to your local WY county clerk.

Make sure you have the required documents and payments to prevent delays with the WY title transferring process.

Smog Certification/Vehicle Inspection

There is no emissions testing in Wyoming at this time, so you don’t have to worry about additional fees and finding a testing location.

How to Transfer Your Vehicle Title in Wyoming?

Vehicle title transfers in the state of Wyoming are handled by the county clerk’s office. The requirements for transferring your vehicle’s title will vary by county. In general, the process for transferring your vehicle title is based on whether you are:

  • Purchasing a vehicle from a dealer
  • Purchasing a vehicle from a private seller
  • Selling your car to someone else

Transferring a Vehicle’s Title As a New Resident of Wyoming

As a new resident of Wyoming, you are required to title and register your vehicle in Wyoming to legally be able to operate on the highways and roadways of Wyoming. Visit your local county clerk with:

  • Your out-of-state vehicle title
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title and VIN/HIN Inspection Form (Form MV-300A)
  • Proof of a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection (this inspection can be performed by a law enforcement officer, or at your county clerk’s office. Be prepared to pay the $10 fee.
  • Proof of identity and Wyoming residency
  • Lien holder information or proof of lien release (if applicable)
  • Payment for all applicable WY vehicle titling fees

Transferring the Title of a Vehicle Purchased From a Private Seller

When you’re transferring the ownership of a vehicle between two private parties, you need to make sure the vehicle’s seller:

  • Assigns the vehicle title over to you
  • Provides an affidavit (either on the vehicle title or separate to it) disclosing:
    • The vehicle’s current odometer reading
    • A description of the make, model, and year of the vehicle
    • Acknowledgment of penalties for providing false information
  • Completes a bill of sale (check with your county for a county-issued bill of sale form and if notoriety is required)
  • Provides you with proof of a lien release (if applicable)

Once you obtain the proper paperwork from the vehicle’s seller, you can visit your local WY county clerk with the following:

  • All necessary documents from the vehicle’s seller
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title and VIN/HIN Inspection Form (Form MV-300A)
  • Proof of:
    • Your identity and WY residency
    • A VIN inspection (this inspection can be completed at your county clerk’s office or by a law enforcement officer. There is a $10 fee for each VIN inspected.
    • Payment for WY county vehicle title transfer fees (your local county clerk can provide you with specific costs)

Transferring the Title of a Vehicle Purchased From a Dealership

Vehicle dealers in Wyoming are able to handle the vehicle titling and vehicle registration process on your behalf. However, you may want to go to your local WY county clerk to complete the process on your own if the dealer neglects to file the necessary paperwork on your behalf.

If you are submitting the paperwork on your own, you need to provide:

  • The Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO), which should provide:
    • Date of sale
    • MSRP and actual purchase price
    • Certificate that the vehicle was new when sold
  • Lien information (if applicable)
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title and VIN/HIN Inspection Form (Form MV-300A)
  • Proof of identity and residency
  • Payment for your vehicle titling fees (payments vary by county)

Transferring the Title of a Vehicle You’re Selling in Wyoming

When you’re selling your vehicle in Wyoming, the majority of the transfer of ownership of the vehicle relies on the vehicle’s buyer. As the seller of the vehicle, you are responsible for providing the buyer with:

  • Either
    • The correctly-assigned vehicle title naming them as the new owner, or
    • An Affidavit of Ownership (Form MV147) explaining the title’s absence, along with a notarized bill of sale (applicable if the vehicle title is being held by a lien holder)
  • A statement declaring information regarding:
    • Any applicable liens
    • The odometer reading
    • The vehicle’s description (make, year, and model)
    • Acknowledgment of fines and penalties for providing false information

How to Transfer a Vehicle Title When the Owner is Deceased?

When the owner of a vehicle passes away, you have a few options depending on how you are presented on the will. Here’s what you need to know.

Transferring the Title of a Vehicle in a Probated Estate

The vehicle title transfer process in this situation depends on whether the vehicle’s title was solely in the individual’s name as a descendant or joint ownership. If the vehicle title was only in the descendant’s name, you need to know if the estate is being probated.

Probate is the legal process that involves administering the estate of the deceased. This legal process happens when there is no beneficiary or living spouse provided on the will. The probate validates the deceased’s assets and property and proves the last will and testament are legitimate. The Probate Court will determine how you should proceed with the individual’s belongings. During this process, the deceased person’s property will be distributed based on their will.

If the vehicle in the estate is part of probate, you must follow these steps to transfer the vehicle title of the owner who is deceased:

Contact an Attorney or Probate Court

A vehicle’s title can’t be transferred until the probate process is complete, so the administrator of the deceased or the executor needs to contact the Probate Court or an attorney as soon as possible to receive further instructions regarding the next steps in the probate process. When the probate process is complete, the heir will receive the vehicle, unless the vehicle was left to the executor. If the vehicle was left to the executor, they can choose to sell the vehicle or gift it.

Gather the Required Documentation

While the required documentation to transfer the vehicle title of a deceased person varies from one state to another, in the state of Wyoming, you need to submit all the following documents in order to successfully transfer the vehicle’s title:

  • Certificate of title
  • Order from Probate Court to transfer ownership of the vehicle
  • Death certificate
  • Odometer disclosure statement
  • Transfer fee

Visit the Title Office

If you are listed as the administrator of the deceased individual’s estate or the beneficiary, you can visit your local WY title office with the above-listed documentation to initiate the vehicle title transfer process.

How to Transfer a Vehicle Title Without Probate

The process you need to follow to transfer the title of a vehicle without probate will vary depending on the state in which you reside. In Wyoming, the deceased individual’s property is not to exceed a certain amount and a specific amount of time needs to have passed since the person passed away before the vehicle title transfer can be processed.

If you are the administrator, spouse, joint-owner, or beneficiary, you may only be required to provide the death certificate and the vehicle’s title to your local WY title office, and they will retitle the vehicle’s title without a court order or an attorney.

Transferring the Title of an Inherited Vehicle in Wyoming

As the heir to a vehicle, if you are named on the vehicle’s title, you can apply for a new vehicle title that is solely in your name by visiting your local WY county clerk and presenting:

  • The death certificate
  • The current WY vehicle title
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title and VIN/HIN Inspection Form (Form MV-300A)
  • Proof of your identity and WY residency
  • Payment for the new vehicle title fee

If you choose to sell the vehicle rather than transfer ownership to yourself, you need to follow the steps described above for “selling a vehicle” in Wyoming, and present the vehicle’s buyer with a certified copy of the death certificate.

How to Transfer Ownership of a Vehicle Without a Title in Wyoming?

If you don’t have a vehicle title, whether you lost it or it is severely damaged, you need to apply for a duplicate WY vehicle title. You will not be able to transfer ownership of a vehicle without the vehicle’s title.

Can I Gift a Car to a Family Member?

Sure you can! If you want to gift a vehicle to a family member, the gifting process is similar to the steps required for buying or selling a vehicle from a private party. Each county in Wyoming has its own specific vehicle title transfer requirements, so contact your local WY county clerk to find out more information about how to gift your vehicle.

Transferring a Vehicle Title When You Have an Out-of-State Title

In the state of Wyoming, there are specific criteria to successfully transfer a vehicle’s title. The criteria may differ depending on the nature of the ownership transfer.

The requirements for completing a WY vehicle title transfer are as follows:

  • A properly signed-over vehicle title bearing the notarized signature of the original vehicle owner and the odometer disclosure statement
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title (Form MV-300A)
  • A separate odometer disclosure document (if the vehicle title certificate doesn’t provide a specific section for this purpose)
  • A lien release form (if applicable)
  • A notarized bill of sale
  • A VIN inspection report (if required)
  • Proof of identification (driver’s license or state-issued ID)

Be advised, vehicle sellers who have lost or damaged their vehicle’s title will not be able to complete the vehicle title transfer transaction until they obtain a replacement title certificate (Form 202-022) through their county clerk’s office.

If you are completing a vehicle title transfer in Wyoming under unique circumstances, you may be requested to meet different documentation requirements. You can contact your county clerk’s office for more information regarding the vehicle title transfer requirements that meet your specific needs.

Requesting a Duplicate Vehicle Title in Wyoming

In the state of Wyoming, if you have lost or damaged your vehicle title, you must apply for a replacement WY vehicle title with the county clerk that originally issued the vehicle title.

The following are documents you need to take with you to your county clerk’s office to request a duplicate WY vehicle title:

  • An affidavit describing the reason for the loss of the vehicle
  • Your current vehicle registration (if possible)
  • Proof of identity and WY residency
  • Payment for the WY duplicate vehicle title fee (the county clerk can provide you with the exact fee amount)

Transferring a Vehicle Title With a Lien

If you need to remove a lien from your Wyoming vehicle title, the lien holder must provide you with a release of lien, so you can obtain a clear vehicle title from your county clerk. You need to contact your lien holder for details regarding obtaining a release of lien, and then contact the county clerk for the next steps required to obtain a new WY vehicle title that is solely in your name.

How Much Does a Vehicle Title Transfer Cost in Wyoming?

The cost of a vehicle title transfer in the state of Wyoming depends on the type of vehicle title transfer you need to initiate. The standard WY vehicle title fees are as follows:

  • Simple WY vehicle title transfer: $15
  • File a lien on the vehicle title: $20
  • VIN inspection (if required): $10

Keep in mind, the registration fees and sales tax are based on the value of the vehicle.

Where Can I Go to Transfer a Vehicle Title in Wyoming?

There is more than one DOT location in Wyoming where you can transfer the title of your vehicle and handle other vehicle-related tasks.

Wyoming Department of Transportation – Laramie Office
3411 South Third St. Ste. 8
Laramie, WY 82070
(307) 745-2225

Monday – Friday (8 AM to 4:30 PM)
Saturday and Sunday (Closed)

Wyoming Department of Transportation – Thermopolis Office
415 Arapahoe St.
Thermopolis, WY 82443
(307) 864-3616

Monday – Friday (8 AM to 5 PM)
Saturday and Sunday (Closed)

Wyoming Department of Transportation – Sheridan Office
224 S. Main St.
Sheridan, WY 82801
(307) 674-2500

Monday – Friday (8 AM to 5 PM)
Saturday and Sunday (Closed)

How to Fill Out the Wyoming Title and Title Transfer Forms

In order to ensure you complete the Wyoming vehicle title and title transfer forms, you need to ensure the required signatures of the vehicle’s seller and buyer in the designated areas on the vehicle title. You also need to create a bill of sale that provides information about the vehicle, such as its make, year, model, and color. Don’t forget to include the VIN of the vehicle.

If you sold a vehicle instead of gifting it, the correct sales tax needs to be added to the vehicle’s total price. In the “transfer of title by seller” section of the vehicle title, provide an odometer reading, and make sure the recipient of the vehicle signs the vehicle’s title in the designated spaces.

Be advised that you may be required to provide additional documentation, such as a valid Wyoming vehicle insurance policy that meets or exceeds the minimum coverage limits set by the state. You may also be required to provide a valid government-issued photo ID or a foreign passport for a valid proof of identification.

My Vehicle Title Was Signed But Never Transferred. What Do I Do?

When a vehicle’s title is signed but not transferred, the vehicle has an open title. An open vehicle title means the vehicle’s seller/owner didn’t transfer ownership of the vehicle, or register the vehicle in their name. Since the vehicle seller’s name is not provided on the vehicle title, they do not assume any legal responsibility for anything associated with the vehicle, including taxes and other fees.

If the vehicle’s seller has lost the title, they can apply for a duplicate WY vehicle title (Form 202-022) and sign it over to you for you to put in your name. Keep in mind, that the person who is listed on the vehicle’s title must request a duplicate vehicle title.

Leave a Reply