An Oklahoma vehicle registration is a document that connects Sooner State residents with the form of transportation they own or lease, including vehicles, motorcycles, and boats.

OK residents must register their vehicle, including cars, trucks, and motorcycles, in person when they move to Oklahoma or buy a new vehicle. Registration fees vary based on several factors. U.S. military members qualify for reduced registration fees.

Registering a Vehicle in Oklahoma

Keep reading for details about registering a vehicle in Oklahoma.

New to Oklahoma?

  • When individuals move to Oklahoma, they have 30 days to title and register their vehicle with the Oklahoma Tax Commission (OTC).

Before applying for a title certificate and registration, Oklahoma residents need to obtain a valid Oklahoma car insurance policy. For a list of application requirements, see below.

Register Your Vehicle in OK

When Oklahoma residents buy a vehicle in Oklahoma, they must title and register it in person at their local Oklahoma Tax Commission tag agent office. To register a vehicle in Oklahoma, residents need to provide:

  • A completed Application for Oklahoma Certificate of Title for a Vehicle (Form 701-6).

Proof of ownership, such as:

  • The out-of-state title, if you’re new to Oklahoma.
  • The manufacturer’s certificate of origin for a new vehicle.


  • The current title, transferred to the resident, for a used vehicle that the resident purchased.
  • Proof of a valid Oklahoma car insurance policy.
  • The license plate from your previous vehicle, if applicable.
  • Payment for title and registration fees.
  • Lien documentation IF your vehicle is financed.
  • An odometer disclosure statement IF the vehicle is 9 years old or less. This can be included on the transferred title.

If the vehicle is used or the resident brought it from another state, the tag agent will perform a vehicle identification number (VIN) and/or odometer inspection before the OTC issues the title certificate.

License Plates

OK residents will receive an Oklahoma license plate when they register their vehicle. License plates stay with the owner; so if and when residents buy a new vehicle, they’ll need to transfer their existing plate to it.

The OTC issues standard license plates as well as several special license plates, such as personalized plates and tags for organizations and military veterans.

Residents who are eligible can also apply for a disabled parking plate.

Oklahoma Vehicle Registration Fees

The fee to register your vehicle is based on several factors. For accepted forms of payment, contact your local Oklahoma tag agent office.

The first time residents of Oklahoma register a vehicle in OK, they’ll pay:

  • A title fee: $11.
  • A registration fee:
  • $96 for a motor vehicle.
  • $99 for a motorcycle.

They may also have to pay:

  • A title transfer fee for a vehicle you’ve just bought: $17.
  • A VIN inspection fee for used or out-of-state vehicles: $4.
  • A lien processing fee, if your vehicle is financed:
  • $10 if the lienholder is in Oklahoma.
  • $13 if the lienholder is outside of OK.
  • A postage fee: $5 to mail a license plate.
  • Excise tax if you’re transferring ownership.

Contact the OTC at (800) 522-8165, ext. 1-3101, for a fee total or to inquire about fees that may apply.

The OTC offers reduced registration fees to several groups. For example, Oklahoma residents who have a vehicle modified for a physical disability will pay $36.

Registering Other Types of Vehicles

In Oklahoma, residents of this state must register other types of vehicles, including motorcycles and boats. The registration processes are similar, but the OTC may require different or additional documentation for certain types of vehicles.

Motorcycle Registration in Oklahoma

All Oklahoma residents must register their motorcycles with the Oklahoma Tax Commission (OTC) tag agency office before legal road operation is allowed. We’ll help with the details below.

New Oklahoma Residents

Upon establishing Oklahoma residency, individuals have 30 days to register their motorcycle with the OTC. Titling for new residents is generally completed at the same time as registration. For more information on titling, check our Title Transfers section.

To register a motorcycle in Oklahoma, visit a local OTC tag agency office and provide the following:

  • The out-of-state title or registration.
  • A completed Application for Oklahoma Certificate of Title for a Vehicle (Form 701-6).
  • Proof of Oklahoma motorcycle insurance.
  • Lien documents, if applicable.
  • Have the motorcycle inspected by a tag agent for its VIN and odometer reading.
  • Pay all applicable motorcycle registration fees and taxes—see below for details.

Registering a Motorcycle in OK

The steps required for motorcycle registration vary depending on whether the motorcycle was purchased from a dealership or a private seller. Below are the steps required for either instance.

Motorcycles Purchased from a Dealership

In most instances, when individuals purchase a motorcycle through a dealership in Oklahoma, the dealership handles the titling and registration process. The fees for license plates, motorcycle registration, and taxes are often included in the overall purchase price.

To make sure there are no additional steps required, confirm the information with the dealership before leaving. If for some reason, the dealership does not handle this, the steps for motorcycle registration will be the same as the steps below.

Motorcycles Purchased from a Private Seller

When residents purchase a motorcycle from a private seller, they must register it themselves.

Visit a local Oklahoma Tax Commission tag agency office and:

  • Show the Oklahoma motorcycle license.

Submit the following documents:

  • The signed-over title.
  • The odometer disclosure section should also be filled out if the motorcycle is 9 years old or newer.
  • If there is no space provided, fill out an Odometer Disclosure Statement (Form 729) instead.
  • Proof of Oklahoma motorcycle insurance.
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title for a Vehicle (Form 701-6).
  • Present the lien documentation information, if applicable.
  • Pay the motorcycle registration fees and any applicable taxes due—see our breakdown below.

OK Motorcycle Registration Fees & Taxes

Oklahoma residents may be required to pay the following fees and taxes when renewing or registering your motorcycle in Oklahoma:

Motorcycle registration—Varies by current registration period:

  • 1st through 4th year: $99.
  • 5th through 8th year: $89.
  • 9th through 12th year: $69.
  • 13th through 16th year: $49.
  • 17th year and above: $29.

Excise tax—Varies based on the purchase price, if the price is:

  • Within 20% of the average retail value:
  • New motorcycles: 3.25%.
  • Used motorcycles: $20 on the first $1,500 of the total value, PLUS 3.25% of the remaining value.

Not within 20% of the average retail value. Price will be based on a taxable value within that range:

  • Title: $11.
  • Ownership transfer: $17.
  • Lien processing fee: $10.
  • Inspection fee: $4.

It’s a good idea for Oklahoma residents to mark these important dates on their calendar to pay the applicable fees and taxes on time to avoid penalties.

Boat Registration and Licensing in Oklahoma

All boat registration and titles are processed through the Oklahoma Tax Commission’s (OTC) Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC).

Oklahoma residents who need information about titling and registering vessels and the requirements to operate watercraft on Oklahoma waters, you’ve come to the right place.

OK Boats You Must Title & Register

All boats used as a means of transportation on Oklahoma state waters with an outboard motor of more than 10 HP must have an Oklahoma title and registration.

Exceptions to the titling and registration rule include:

  • Canoes and kayaks propelled by paddles only.
  • Paddleboat’s less than 8 ft long, propelled only by humans (with the assistance of a belt, chain, or gears).
  • Boats not registered in Oklahoma, using OK state waters for no more than 60 calendar days over the course of 1 calendar year.
  • Watercraft owned by an entity of the U.S. government.
  • Lifeboats.
  • Vessels involved in a race.
  • Commercial flotation devices.

Oklahoma residents who are not sure whether their watercraft requires a title and registration can call the MVC at (405) 521-3221.

Title & Register Your Vessel in OK

Before submitting a title and registration application, the individual or dealer selling the boat needs to complete a notarized Boat or Outboard Motor Serial Number Confirmation (Form BM-10).

Oklahoma residents can title and register their boat with the Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Division, by providing the following at a local MVD office and submitting a completed:

  • Application for Certificate of Title for a Boat or Outboard Motor (Form BM-26).
  • Boat or Outboard Motor Serial Number Confirmation (Form BM-10).

A proof of ownership for:

  • New boats: Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin.
  • Transferring ownership of a boat previously titled/registered in Oklahoma: Properly assigned vessel title AND registration.

Vessels previously titled/registered out-of-state:

  • Staying with the same owner: Boat title OR if from a non-titling state, the registration.
  • Transferring to a different owner: Properly assigned boat title OR, if from a non-titling state, the registration and a notarized bill of sale.
  • Payment for the appropriate boat title and registration fees.

Oklahoma residents have the option of registering their vessel for 1 year OR 3 years— boat registrations are valid from July 1st to June 30th of the final registration year.

Oklahoma Boat Title & Registration Fees

Oklahoma’s boat title and registration fees can be daunting to try and calculate OK residents can contact the Motor Vehicle Division at (405) 521-3221 for assistance.

The fees to title and register a boat with the OK MVD is as follows:

  • Original/renewal vessel registration fees—Varies by original retail price, and cannot exceed $151.
  • Boat title fee: $2.25.
  • Title application fee: $1.25.
  • Duplicate:
  • Title: $2.25.
  • Registration: $9.
  • Excise tax for:
  • New boats: 3.25% of the purchase price.
  • Used boats: 35% decrease in the taxable amount per each 1 year of the vessel’s age.

Oklahoma Boat Registration Renewal

OK residents have the option of registering their boat for 1 year or 3 years. The Oklahoma MVD will send a renewal notice by mail OR email (depending on what residents prefer) before the vessel’s expiration date.

Oklahoma residents can renew their boat’s registration by providing your renewal notice AND the necessary fees:

  • Online at the OkCARS website.
  • In person at your local MVD agency.
  • By mail to the address indicated on the renewal notice.

Residents of Oklahoma who have questions regarding the renewal of their boat’s registration can call the Motor Vehicle Division at (405) 521-2913.

Duplicate OK Vessel Title & Registration

Residents who lost or damaged their OK boat registration decals OR certificate of title can provide the applicable items below at a local MVD office branch to request duplicates:

A completed:

  • Affidavit for Replacement License Plate/Decal Annual Boat/Outboard Motor Decal (Form 797-D) for replacement registration decals.
  • Application for Replacement Certificate of Title for Vehicle/Boat/Motor (Form 701-7) for a replacement vessel title.
  • Residents of Oklahoma need to present their watercraft’s OK registration card with the duplicate title application.
  • A valid form of identification.
  • The necessary duplicate title/registration fees.

Oklahoma Boater Requirements

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol’s Marine Enforcement Section requires all operators 12 to 15 years old to have a boating safety certificate in order to operate:

  • A motorboat with greater than 10 HP.
  • A sailboat 16 ft or longer.
  • Personal watercraft (PWC).

Residents can complete the boating education requirement by completing a course:

  • In the classroom with an approved education provider below:
  • Schedule of boating courses taught by the OK Highway Patrol’s Marine Enforcement Section.
  • Classes taught nationwide by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary.
  • Courses offered by the United States Power Squadrons.
  • Online with a NASBLA-approved internet education provider.

OK residents who still have questions about Oklahoma’s boater education requirements can call the Marine Enforcement Section’s Boater Safety Education line at (918) 681-4959.

Accepted Forms of Payment

The Oklahoma DMV accepts the following forms of payment:

  • Credit card
  • Debit card
  • American Express
  • VISA
  • MasterCard
  • Discover

Oklahoma residents need to make sure they have the appropriate payment method available to avoid delays with the registration process and other instances.

Leave a Reply