What Do I Need for an Idaho Title Transfer?

You are required to follow different steps to transfer an Idaho vehicle title.

In order to transfer an Idaho vehicle title:

  • The buyer and seller of the vehicle need to sign the vehicle’s title
  • Take it to the nearest ID DMV
  • Pay the Idaho vehicle title transfer fee of $14 and applicable registration fees

Smog Certification/Vehicle Inspection

In Idaho, residents of the City of Kuna, Canyon, and Ada counties are required to have vehicle emissions testing.

In Idaho, your vehicle is required to pass a smog check before you can register it, unless your vehicle qualifies for an exemption, such as:

  • The vehicle is a 1981 model year or earlier
  • The vehicle is not registered or used in Ada County, Idaho
  • Motorcycles and motor homes
  • New vehicles that are less than 5 years old
  • Vehicles that weigh less than 1,500 pounds
  • Vehicles that are registered in Idaho as an “Old Timer” or Classic vehicle
  • Farm tractors and other types of farm equipment
  • Vehicles that are registered on a prorated basis
  • Hybrid and electric vehicles
  • Vehicles that weigh more than 14,001 pounds

Vehicles that fall into any of these categories are exempt from having a smog check performed. The fee in Idaho for a smog check is $11 per test.

How to Transfer Your Title in Idaho?

New residents of Idaho are required to register their out-of-state vehicle with the Idaho Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 90 days. Keep in mind, if you purchased a vehicle recently before moving to Idaho, you may be required to pay a use tax.

Transferring a Vehicle Title if You’re Buying a Vehicle in Idaho

The vehicle title transfer process in Idaho will differ depending on whether you’re buying or selling a vehicle.

Buying a Vehicle From a Dealership

When you purchase a vehicle from a dealership in Idaho, the dealer will prepare the application for the vehicle title on your behalf and file it with the ID DMV. When the sale closes, the sales tax will be collected. If you purchase a vehicle from an out-of-state dealer, you are purchasing a vehicle from a private seller.

Buying a Vehicle From a Private Seller

When you purchase a vehicle from an out-of-state dealer or from a private party, and there is a lien present on the vehicle, the vehicle’s seller can file the application for title. If there is no lien present on the vehicle, you, the buyer, are required to apply for the vehicle title transfer in person or by mail.

Keep in mind, the ID DMV title transfer must occur within 30 days of receiving the vehicle to avoid the $20 late fee.

To complete a vehicle title transfer and vehicle registration in Idaho, you will need:

  • The title certificate
    • The title certificate must be completed by the vehicle’s seller and lien holder (if applicable)
    • An odometer disclosure statement is required if the vehicle is less than 10 years old and weighs less than 16,000 pounds (gross vehicle weight).
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title (Form ITD 3337)
  • A complete bill of sale
    • A bill of sale is not required if the vehicle’s seller provides the sales price on the title in the designated space.
  • A completed Vehicle or Hull Identification Number Inspection Certification (Form ITD 3403)
  • Payment for the required fees
    • Title Transfer fee: $14
    • Sales tax: 6% of the purchase price (if not already paid). If the sales tax has already been paid to the state of Idaho, you are required to show proof of the payment.
  • A power of attorney (Form ITD 3368) IF you are applying for a vehicle title transfer by mail.

You can submit the above documents and payments to the Idaho county assessor’s motor vehicle office in person or by mail. If you are mailing your Idaho vehicle title transfer application, contact your local Idaho DMV to make sure you’re eligible.

Title Transfer Requirements When Selling a Car

When you’re selling a vehicle in Idaho, there are a few factors you need to keep in mind. In the state of Idaho, you are required to title the vehicle in your name if you intend to buy and resell a vehicle unless you have a dealer license. You need to also keep in mind that listing the wrong selling price on the title or bill of sale is a felony.

Once you’ve sold a vehicle to a buyer, you are required to:

  • Complete the certificate of title and give it to the buyer
  • Submit a release of liability within 5 days of the vehicle title transfer
  • Provide the vehicle’s buyer with a bill of sale. If the sales price of the vehicle is not included on the vehicle’s title, make sure you provide:
    • Full vehicle description
    • Selling price
    • Buyer’s full name
    • Your signature
    • Date

You can keep your license plates because they remain with you and not the vehicle.

How to Transfer a Car Title When the Owner is Deceased?

Transferring a vehicle’s title when the owner passes away is required if the beneficiary wants to keep the vehicle, gift the vehicle to a family member, or sell the vehicle to another person.

Surviving spouses, beneficiaries, and joint-owners have the legal authority and obligation to transfer the vehicle’s title to someone else after the owner passes away.

The process for transferring the title of a vehicle that is part of a probated estate depends on whether the vehicle’s title was in the individual’s name as a descendant or joint ownership. Probate is the legal process that occurs when an individual passes away and their estate is administered according to their will. This legal process takes place when there is no beneficiary or living spouse listed on the will. The Probate Court will determine how to proceed with the deceased individual’s belongings.

If the vehicle is part of a probated estate, you need to follow these steps to successfully transfer the vehicle title of the deceased individual:

Contact Probate Court and Attorney

A vehicle’s title can’t be transferred until the probate process is completed. The administrator or executor needs to contact Probate Court or an attorney as soon as possible to be informed on the next steps of the probate process. Once the probate is completed, the heir of the vehicle or the executor can choose to sell it if he/she was given the vehicle.

Gather the Required Documents

You need to make sure you have the following documents and fees in order to transfer the vehicle’s title:

  • Certificate of the title
  • Order from Probate Court to transfer the vehicle’s title
  • Odometer disclosure statement
  • Death certificate
  • Transfer fee

Make sure you have all these required documents and fees before heading to your local ID DMV office.

Visit the Title Office

Beneficiaries of the vehicle or the administrator of the deceased individual’s estate, you can visit the title office with the above-mentioned documents to initiate the vehicle title transfer.

How to Transfer a Car Title Without Probate

In Idaho, the deceased person’s property must not exceed a specific amount, and it has to be a certain amount of time since the individual passed away before the vehicle title transfer can be initiated.

Administrators, beneficiaries, joint-owners, and spouses may only be required to provide the death certificate and the title of the vehicle to the title office. Once at the title office, they can retitle the vehicle without a court order or attorney.

Transferring a Title After a Lease Buyout

When the lien on a vehicle has been satisfied, the lien holder or an authorized representative is required to notify the ID DMV within 30 days to complete the vehicle title transfer process. The lien holder is required to provide the following documentation at an Idaho DMV:

  • Title certificate with the lien release record
  • A completed power of attorney (Form ITD 3368) or other statements, and a photocopy of the vehicle’s title


  • A list of the vehicle’s title whose liens have been satisfied and a letter of explanation.

Once the lien is satisfied and the ID DMV has it on file, you can either keep the title certificate given to you by the lien holder or apply for a DMV title transfer in your name without the lien holder listed on the title. You will be required to pay the title transfer fee.

How to Transfer Ownership of a Car Without a Title in Idaho?

You are required to transfer a vehicle’s title before you can register it and legally drive it in the state of Idaho. You can contact the seller of the vehicle and ask them to apply for a Duplicate Idaho Vehicle Title (Form ITD 3367). You may also be able to use a bill of sale and VIN to begin the vehicle title transfer process.

Can I Gift a Car to a Family Member?

To transfer a vehicle’s title to a family member, you are required to have a Sales Tax Exemption Certificate and follow the standard procedure for obtaining an Idaho vehicle title transfer. The individual gifting the vehicle is the seller, and the person receiving the vehicle as a gift is the buyer. Since the vehicle is a gift, there are no taxes due on the vehicle.

Transferring a Vehicle Title When You Have an Out-of-State Title

After changing residents from one state to another, you are required to transfer your vehicle’s title. You may be required to complete additional steps, such as vehicle identification number (VIN) and proof of a valid Idaho auto insurance policy.

To successfully finalize the certificate of title when moving to a different state, you are required to complete the following steps:

  • Submit your vehicle to an emissions test (if required)
  • Visit your nearest Idaho DMV location
  • Fill out and complete the corresponding application forms
  • Submit your out-of-state documents, including the vehicle’s title and vehicle’s registration
  • Proof of a valid Idaho auto insurance policy, odometer reading, and VIN verification
  • Pay the applicable vehicle title transfer fees and other related costs

In Idaho, you may be able to apply for a vehicle title and vehicle registration simultaneously.

In order to apply for an out-of-state vehicle title and vehicle registration, visit your local ID DMV office and present:

  • The out-of-state vehicle title certificate and registration (the vehicle’s title must be in your name.)
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title (Form ITD 3337)
  • Proof of your identification, such as a valid ID or driver’s license
  • Payment for the vehicle title transfer fee of $14, use tax (if applicable), and the vehicle registration fees

Keep in mind, you are required to obtain the minimum liability coverage established by the state of Idaho in order to register your vehicle.

Transferring an Out-of-State Vehicle Title With Liens or Lease Agreements

If you need to transfer an out-of-state vehicle title that has a lien or lease agreement, you can do so by completing and mailing the title release form to the lien holder. Once the lien holder receives the paperwork, they will send the vehicle title to your new residing state DMV.

When the DMV receives the vehicle title, they will notify you to visit your local Idaho DMV to complete the remaining steps of the out-of-state vehicle title transfer procedure. If you pay off the loan before you initiate the vehicle title transfer, you can avoid transferring the lien holder’s name on your new vehicle title.

Completing a Vehicle Title Transfer for a Leased Vehicle

To successfully complete the vehicle title transfer of a leased vehicle, you are required to obtain power of attorney from the leasing agent before you can complete the Idaho vehicle title transfer process. You will also need to submit a request to your leasing company for official paperwork that gives you the authorization to apply for a vehicle title transfer.

Transferring a Vehicle From a State That Does Not Issue Vehicle Titles

You will not be able to complete the vehicle certificate of title transfer process when you move from one state to another if your previous state does not issue titles for your type of vehicle. In this situation, you must apply for a new car title with the Idaho Division of Motor Vehicles.

You must show proof of ownership of the vehicle by providing the registration card and a bill of sale. The bill of sale must be notarized and contain the contact information and signature of the buyer and seller of the vehicle, as well as information regarding the vehicle, including the vehicle’s make, year, date of sale, price, and VIN.

Requesting a Duplicate Vehicle Title

When you need to request a duplicate vehicle title in Idaho, only you or the lien holder can apply for a duplicate vehicle title. Follow these steps to request a duplicate Idaho vehicle title:

  • Fill out the Duplicate Idaho Title Application (Form ITD 3367). Keep in mind, you can’t transfer ownership of the vehicle to a buyer or transferee with this form.
  • Have the application notarized. If you are applying for a duplicate ID vehicle title in person, you are not required to have your signature notarized as long as it has been witnessed by either a deputy assessor or a traditional assessor.
  • You can visit any county vehicle licensing office and submit the paperwork. If you are mailing the duplicate vehicle title, mail the notarized, completed application and proper fees to:

P.O. Box 140019
Garden City, ID 83714

It’s important to complete all the steps above to avoid a returned vehicle title application. Do not try to fax your application because they are not accepted.

Duplicate Vehicle Title Fees in Idaho

The duplicate vehicle title fees in Idaho are as follows:

  • Duplicate title (with transfer): $14
  • Rushed vehicle title fee: $40
  • If you don’t have the vehicle’s title number and vehicle number: add $7

If you choose to mail the notarized application, make sure you include the proper fees to avoid delaying the titling process. DO NOT mail cash

How Much Does a Title Transfer Cost in Idaho?

The standard vehicle title transfer fee in Idaho is $14. You are also required to pay the sales tax as well. If the vehicle is being titled for the first time in Idaho from a different state, you will be charged $5 for a VIN inspection. There is also a $14 fee for a duplicate vehicle title. The vehicle title transfer process takes about two weeks, but you can rush the titling process for a fee of $26.

Where Can I Go to Transfer a Vehicle Title in Idaho?

There are different DMV locations you can visit to transfer your vehicle’s title in Idaho.

Idaho Transportation Department – Caldwell Office
6107 Graye Ln
Caldwell, ID 83607
(208) 454-7487

Monday-Friday (8 Am to 5 PM)
Saturday and Sunday (Closed)

Department of Motor Vehicles – Boise Office
8655 W Franklin Rd
Boise, ID 83709
(208) 577-3135

Monday-Friday (8 AM to 5 PM)
Saturday and Sunday (Closed)

Department of Motor Vehicles – Star Office
10769 W State St
Star, Idaho 83669
(208) 908-5477

Monday-Friday (8 AM to 5 PM)
Saturday and Sunday (Closed)

Department of Motor Vehicles – Meridian Office
1769 N Lakes PI Ste 100
Meridian, ID 83646
(208) 577-3135

Monday-Friday (8 AM to 5 PM)
Saturday and Sunday (Closed)

How to Fill Out the Idaho Title and Title Transfer Forms

In order to complete an Idaho vehicle title and transfer form, make sure you have filled out all required state forms completely. You need the bill of sale that provides information that pertains to the vehicle, such as the make, model, year, and color of the vehicle. Also, make sure you include the vehicle’s VIN.

If you sold a vehicle instead of gifting it, you need to add sales tax to the total vehicle’s price. You need to provide an odometer reading in the “transfer of title by seller” section of the vehicle’s title. The recipient of the vehicle is required to sign the vehicle title in the provided spaces.

Additional documentation may be required to transfer an Idaho vehicle title, such as proof of a valid ID auto insurance policy that meets or exceeds the standard coverage limits of the state of Idaho. You will also need to provide a valid government-issued photo ID. A foreign passport will also be accepted as valid proof of identification.

My Car Title Was Signed But Never Transferred. What Do I Do?

Although it may seem odd, it’s not unheard of for a vehicle’s title to be signed but never transferred. If your vehicle’s title was signed but never transferred, the seller of the vehicle didn’t transfer ownership of the vehicle or register the vehicle in their name.

If your vehicle has a title that is signed but not transferred, your vehicle has an open title, which means the vehicle’s seller doesn’t have any legal responsibility to the vehicle.

If the vehicle’s seller has lost the vehicle’s title, they can visit their local Idaho DMV office and apply for a duplicate Idaho vehicle title. The seller of the vehicle or the person whose name appears on the vehicle’s title must request the vehicle title, then sign it over to you so you can put the vehicle in your name.

Leave a Reply