It’s the Land of 10,000 Lakes! Aside from enjoying the Mall of America and the cold temperatures, you can also get a driver’s license. This article will teach you how to obtain your standard Minnesota driver’s license, commercial driver’s license, and motorcycle license from the Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services (MN DVS) or the Minnesota Department of Public Safety (MN DPS). Let’s jump in!

Types of Minnesota Driver’s Licenses

There are multiple driver’s licenses in Minnesota. Here’s what you need to know.

Class D – the Class D driver’s license is the state’s standard license that is required to operate private passenger vehicles, such as cars, trucks, and SUVs.

Motorcycle Endorsement – a motorcycle endorsement in Minnesota is required to operate bikes that have an engine displacement above 50cc or achieve speeds that exceed 30 mph on a flat surface. You must obtain a Class D driver’s license before you can obtain a motorcycle endorsement.

Class A (CDL) – a commercial driver’s license that allows individuals to operate a vehicle that has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of at least 26,00 lbs. that is towing a vehicle or trailer that weighs more than 10,000 lbs. GVWR. Vehicles that are in this category include trucks with tractor-trolleys, cargo trucks, semi-trucks, and similar commercial vehicles.

Class B (CDL) – a commercial driver’s license that allows individuals to operate any single-unit vehicle that has a weight that exceeds 26,000 lbs. GVWR. Commercial vehicles that are included in this category include buses, large semi-trucks without trailers, cement mixers, and similar commercial vehicles. With a Class B CDL, individuals are also allowed to operate vehicles that fall into the Class C (CDL) category.

Class C (CDL) – a commercial driver’s license that includes any single vehicle that weighs less than 26,000 lbs. GVWR that satisfies an endorsement. These endorsements can include passenger vehicles, school buses, or hazardous material transport vehicles.

Minnesota Driver’s License Requirement

To receive a standard Class D Minnesota driver’s license with full driving privileges, you must be at least 18 years of age and have attained a learner’s permit for 6 months, if you’re 18 years of age, and 3 months, if you’re at least 19 years of age. If you are younger than 18 years of age, you must complete the Graduated Driver’s Licensing (GDL) system.

You are not required to obtain a Minnesota driver’s license if:

  • You’re at least 18 years old and visiting Minnesota with a valid out-of-state driver’s license
  • You’re an active military member or dependent who is stationed in Minnesota, as long as you have a valid out-of-state driver’s license, and you have NOT established residency in Minnesota
  • You operate farm vehicles off public highways
  • You ONLY operate registered off-highway vehicles and snowmobiles without accessing public roads (other than crossing the roads)

Applying for Your Minnesota Driver’s License

Once you have attained your Minnesota learner’s permit for the required amount of time and passed the driving test, you can apply for your MN driver’s license. You must apply for your new MN driver’s license in person at a DPS branch. You will need to complete the following:

  • To pass the driving test (or proof that you have passed the driving test)
    • You may be required to visit a different location to complete the driving test. You can schedule your driving test through the DPS website (here) or by calling (651) 284-1234.
    • You will also need your MN learner’s permit, vehicle, and proof of active auto insurance policy.
  • Your MN learner’s permit or provisional driver’s license
  • Payment for the $31.25 fee for your new driver’s license

Applying for an Enhanced Driver’s License

You can also apply for an Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL). You will need to follow the above steps for applying for an MN driver’s license as well as the following:

  • Proof of your:
    • Date of birth
    • Name
    • Social Security Number (SSN)
    • Photo identity
    • U.S. citizenship
    • Minnesota residency
  • A completed interview questionnaire (completed at the DPS exam station)
  • Payment for the $15 fee (in addition to the standard license fee)

It takes up to 4 weeks to process an MN EDL application. Only certain DPS exam stations provide EDL services.

Acceptable Identification Documents in Minnesota

In Minnesota, there are different types of acceptable identification documents you can use when you’re applying for your Minnesota driver’s license, such as:

  • Passport
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Birth certificate
  • Armed forces ID cards
  • Permanent resident card
  • Foreign passport with a valid I-94 (the expiration date of the I-94 expiration date must be more than two months from the date you visit the office)

Examples of true full-name verification documents include:

  • Certificate of registration document that verifies the formation of a domestic partnership
  • Adoption documents that contain your legal name as a result of the adoption
  • Marriage certificate
  • Name change documents that contain your legal name both before and after the name change
  • A dissolution of marriage document that contains your legal name as a result of the court order

Examples of acceptable residency documents include:

  • Minnesota vehicle or vessel title or registration
  • Resident utility bills (you can also use a cell phone bill)
  • A record of financial institution (bank statement)
  • Insurance documents

Receiving a Minnesota Driver’s License If You’re Under 18 Years Old

Before you will be eligible to receive your full MN Class D driver’s license, you must complete the following steps.

Are You a New Resident of Minnesota?

As a new resident of Minnesota, you are required to transfer your out-of-state driver’s license or permit within 60 days of establishing residency in the state. Your out-of-state driver’s license or permit must be valid, and you must submit documents that show completion of a Driver’s Education (Driver’s Ed) course to transfer your license.

To transfer your out-of-state permit, you must:

  • Show primary and secondary proofs of identity
  • Present your out-of-state permit
  • Complete a permit or license application with your parent or legal guardian’s signature
  • Pass the written knowledge exam
  • Pay the $15.50 permit fee

To apply for an MN driver’s license with your out-of-state permit, you must meet the age requirement and have completed at least 50 hours of Driver’s Ed, plus 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training. Then, you must make an appointment for your road test at your local Driver’s Exam Station. On your way to your appointment, make sure you have a copy of your driving record.

If you need to obtain a copy of your driving record from your previous state to apply for your MN license, you need to bring your out-of-state learner’s permit and a certified copy of your driving record that proves you’ve had your permit for at least 6 months.

Once you pass the road test, you need to present your certificate at your local DPS branch, complete the driver’s license application with your parent or legal guardian’s signature, and pay the $18.50 license fee. If you have not yet earned your learner’s permit or permit license, or you have not completed Driver’s Ed in your previous state, you can follow the steps below.

The Minnesota Graduated Driver’s License Program

Many risks are associated with first-time drivers. To minimize these risks, many states have adopted a Graduated Driver’s License (GDL) program. With this program, teenagers are required to reach certain milestones BEFORE they can obtain their driver’s licenses. Many of the milestones that must be achieved are based on your age and driving experience.

In Minnesota, all drivers who are under 18 years old are required to complete the GDL program, which consists of earning an instruction permit, a provisional license, and an unrestricted driver’s license.

Minnesota Driver’s Education Requirements

In Minnesota, all first-time drivers must complete a state-approved Driver’s Education (Driver’s Ed) course. This driving course must consist of 30 hours of classroom instruction and 50 hours of behind-the-wheel training, which includes 15 hours of night driving. Some students may qualify to have their parents home-school them for the classroom sessions of the Driver’s Ed course.

If your parents take the Parent’s Awareness course, your required behind-the-wheel training decreases from 50 hours to 40 hours. The class is approximately 90 minutes and is offered by Driver’s Ed providers. You must record all of your practice hours on a Supervised Driving Log (found here) which must be signed by your parent or guardian.

Minnesota Age Requirements

Below you will find an age breakdown of the application journey to obtain your Minnesota license.

15 years old: Eligible for a learner’s permit

16 years old: Eligible for provisional license

After 12 months with a provisional license: Eligible for a full, unrestricted license

How to Get a Minnesota Learner’s Permit

To receive your instruction permit in MN, you must be at least 15 years old AND completed the 30 hours of the classroom portion of Driver’s Ed. You must also be enrolled in behind-the-wheel instruction.

To receive your MN learner’s permit, you need to visit your local MN DVS office and:

  • Present a completed permit/license application with your parent or legal guardian’s signature
  • Submit 2 documents to prove your identity
  • Submit your Driver’s Ed Certificate of Completion
  • Provide your social security number
  • Pass the written exam (there is no fee for the first two tests. A third test or any thereafter will be $10)
  • Pay the $15.50 learner’s permit fee

Your instruction permit is valid for 2 years, and you can renew it if necessary. To renew your instruction permit, you need to return to the DVS and pay the $15.50 permit fee.

After you’ve obtained your learner’s permit, you’re allowed to practice supervised driving under the following conditions:

  • You must be accompanied by a certified driving instructor, your parent or legal guardian, or another licensed driver who is at least 21 years of age
  • You and all of your passengers must be wearing a properly-fastened seat belt
  • You may NOT use a cell phone in any capacity while driving (not even with a hands-free device)

You must attain your learner’s permit for at least 6 months and complete a minimum of 6 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction with a professional instructor. You will also be required to complete supervised driving practice that meets the state’s minimum of 50 hours of daytime driving (this decreases to 40 hours if your parents completed the awareness class) and 15 hours of nighttime driving.

Before you are eligible to apply for your provisional license, you need to submit a Supervised Driving Log (click here) that is signed by your parent or guardian.

How to Obtain a Minnesota Provisional License

Once you’ve turned 16 years old, and attained your MN permit for at least 6 months, you are eligible to apply for your provisional license. Make sure you have completed 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training and 50 hours of supervised driving, including 15 hours driven at night.

You must schedule an appointment at your local Driver’s Exam station and take the following:

  • A completed license application with your parent’s or legal guardian’s signature
  • Written parental certification that you completed your 50 hours of supervised driving
  • 2 documents proving your identity
  • Certificate of Completion from your behind-the-wheel instructor
  • Payment for the $18.50 license fee

Be advised that there is no driving test fee for the first 2 road test attempts. After these attempts, any re-test will cost $20. Your provisional driver’s license will be active for 2 years.

There are different driving restrictions while you have your provisional license, such as the following:

During the first 6 months:

  • You are NOT allowed to operate a motor vehicle between the hours of 5 AM UNLESS you are with a licensed driver who is at least 25 years old, or you’re driving to get to or from home, school, or work.
  • You are ALLOWED to operate a motor vehicle with 1 passenger in the vehicle who is younger than 20 years old UNLESS you are with your parent, or guardian, or the passengers in the vehicle are members of your immediate family.

During the second 6 months, you are allowed to drive with no more than 3 passengers who are under 20 years of age UNLESS you are accompanied by your parent or guardian. At ALL TIMES while you have your provisional license, you and your passengers must wear a properly fastened seat belt and young children must be in a properly fastened child restraint system (car seat). You are NOT allowed to use a cell phone while you’re operating a motor vehicle.

You will also be required to complete an additional 15 hours of supervised driving with a licensed driver who is at least 21 years of age. You must also attain your MN provisional license for at least 12 months without ANY tickets or accidents before you will be eligible to receive your full, unrestricted driver’s license.

Getting Your Unrestricted Minnesota Driver’s License

Once you’ve attained your provisional license 12 months, or you’ve turned 18 years old, you can graduate to an unrestricted driver’s license by doing the following:

  • Complete a license application with your parent or legal guardian’s signature stating that you’ve completed 10 additional hours of supervised driving
  • Present 2 documents showing proof of identification
  • Pay the $18.50 license fee (this fee includes a $3.50 credit if you have no violations on your record; otherwise, the standard fee of $31.25 applies)

Be advised that your license expires when you turn 21 years old.

Auto Insurance in Minnesota

Minnesota’s auto insurance differs from many other states, so we thought we’d mention it. By law in Minnesota, insurance is required. However, since teenage drivers lack the experience to prove their safety behind the wheel when they are added to an auto insurance policy, the premium will increase significantly.

In some scenarios, teenage drivers who are operating a motor vehicle with a licensed adult are likely covered under the adult’s insurance policy, but this is not always the case. Check with your auto insurance provider to see what and who’s covered under your policy.

Teenage drivers must show proof of insurance to receive their provisional driver’s license. Teenagers can have their parents add them to their auto insurance policy or family policy, or they can choose to obtain their own auto insurance policy.

Special Medical License in Minnesota

In Minnesota, teenage drivers may be issued a special medical license if there are no other licensed drivers in the family or household, and the family requires the teenager to drive for personal medical needs or those of a family member.

To be eligible for a special medical license, you must:

  • Be at least 15 years old
  • Have completed a driver’s education course

Your parent or guardian must provide a written statement explaining why you are required to drive and a letter from your/their physician with details of the medical condition in question. Then, you will be required to complete the road exam. After passing the road exam, you will be issued your MN driver’s license.

The Minnesota Written Exam and Road Test

All drivers must complete the written exam and road test in Minnesota.

Taking the Minnesota Written Exam

The written exam in Minnesota consists of 40 questions, 32 of which you must answer correctly to pass the exam with a minimum passing score of 80%. The minimum age to apply to complete this test is 15.

The Minnesota Road Test

You must also complete and pass the Minnesota road exam to receive your full MN driver’s license. During this exam, your ability to safely maneuver a motor will be tested. You will be asked to start and stop the car, reverse, turn, and adhere to all MN traffic laws while driving, and other guidelines.

Married, Divorced, or Name Change?

If the name on your documents is different from your current name because of a marriage, divorce, or other reason, you must submit name change documentation to apply for a new Minnesota driver’s license or identification card.

If you are applying for a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or ID card in your true full name, you need to provide any of the following documents to establish your true full name:

  • A dissolution of marriage or domestic partnership document that contains the legal name as a result of the court action
  • A name change document that contains the legal name of both before and after the name change
  • Adoption documents that contain the legal names as a result of the adoption
  • A certificate, declaration, or registration document that verifies the formation of a domestic partnership
  • A marriage certificate

Does the REAL ID Act Impact Residents of Minnesota?

The United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) extended the deadline for obtaining a REAL ID from May 3, 2023, to May 7, 2025. There’s more to the REAL ID Act in the state of Minnesota, so let’s discuss it!

Is Obtaining a REAL ID Mandatory in Minnesota?

No. You are not required to obtain a REAL ID as a resident of Minnesota. However, without a REAL ID, there are certain things you can continue to do and alternatives you will have to accept. If you’re not planning on receiving an MN REAL ID, you will need to provide TSA-approved documents to pass the TSA checkpoints at airport terminals nationwide and visit secure federal buildings or military installations at any time.

If you choose not to receive a REAL ID, you will need one of the following documents:

  • Enhanced MN driver’s license or ID card
  • U.S. passport or passport card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID (including IDs issued to dependents)

If you are unsure of which license type of right for you, you can click here for more information.

If you don’t intend on boarding a domestic flight or visiting a secure federal facility or military base, you are NOT required to have a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or identification card.

Be advised that you will NOT need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or ID card to do any of the following:

  • Drive
  • Visit a hospital or receive life-saving services
  • Vote
  • Apply for or receive federal benefits (Social Security Administration (SSA), Veterans Affairs, etc.)
  • Enter a federal facility that does not require ID (such as a post office)

How Do You Prepare to Apply for a REAL ID Card in Minnesota?

Starting May 7, 2025, Minnesota residents who are at least 18 years old will not be able to use their standard driver’s license or ID card to board domestic flights or enter certain federal facilities. You are required to provide the following in person at an MN DOT office when you’re applying for your Minnesota REAL ID:

  • One document that proves your:
    • Identity
    • Date of birth
    • Legal presence in the U.S.

If the name on the identity document is different from your current name, a name change document must be submitted.

  • One document that proves your social security number

If you have not updated your name change with the Social Security Administration, you are required to do so before you can apply for a REAL ID.

  • 2 different documents that prove your current residency in Minnesota

These documents must have your name as it appears on other documents and include your current MN address. P.O. boxes will NOT suffice as proof of current MN residency. If you are under 18 years of age, you will need to provide one proof of residency document that is provided by your parent or guardian IF it is the same address as the document you provide.

Your parent or legal guardian must also be present in the office to certify that they are your parent or legal guardian and that you reside at the given address.

You are required to provide original documents that are certified by the agency that issued them. Laminated documents are NOT accepted. Digital documents that you can show on your phone or another electronic device will NOT be accepted. You can click here for a REAL ID printout for the requirements.

Applying for a Commercial Driver’s License in Minnesota

Driving a commercial vehicle, such as a semi-truck, school bus, or another type of commercial vehicle is more difficult than operating a standard car or truck. Having said that, to operate a commercial vehicle, you must obtain a commercial driver’s license (CDL).

Obtaining a CDL is a process that is regulated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and the Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services (MN DVS) division facilities.

Who Can Get a Minnesota CDL?

To be eligible for an MN CDL, you must:

  • Have a valid, non-CDL (standard) Minnesota driver’s license
  • Provide proof of U.S. citizenship/permanent residency, which can include your:
    • U.S. passport
    • Birth certificate
    • Permanent residency card

If you recently changed your name, you are required to provide proof of your name change. Drivers who are under 21 years of age, will be restricted to driving intrastate, which means you ONLY drive within the state of Minnesota.

Minnesota Commercial Learner’s Permit

Before you can attain your Minnesota CDL, you must first get your MN commercial learner’s permit (CLP). To receive your CLP, you need to schedule an appointment with your local MN Driver and Vehicle Services branch and bring the following:

  • Your MN driver’s license
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residency

You must complete and pass all applicable written exams, which will vary depending on the class of CDL you’re applying for and whether you would like to add an endorsement. The fee for an MN CLP is $10.50. If you decide to add an endorsement to your CDL, you must pay additional fees and possibly be required to complete different exams.

Be advised that the MN DVS and FMCSA do NOT require individuals to complete a CDL training course. However, completing this course will help prepare you for the different exams involved in this licensing course.

Minnesota CLP Requirements and Restrictions

Once you pass the required exams, you will receive your CLP. Congratulations! Your Minnesota CLP will be valid for 6 months, and non-renewable. You must attain your CLP for at least 14 days before you can take the CDL road test. The FMCSA requires all CLP holders to ONLY operate on public roads and only while they are accompanied by a full CDL holder.

How to Obtain an MN Commercial Driver’s License

To upgrade your CLP to a CDL, you need to complete additional road and skills tests, which include:

  • Pre-trip inspection
  • Basic control skills test
  • Road test

You need to schedule another appointment with your local MN DVS branch and:

  • Provide your:
    • MN driver’s license
    • Commercial learner’s permit
    • Social Security Number (SSN)
  • Pass the vision exam
  • Have your photo taken
  • Pay the appropriate fee (this fee varies depending on your age and the type of CDL you want)

You need to arrange to complete the road test and skills test in the same type of vehicle you expect to operate with your CDL. IF not, you may have a restriction placed on your CDL. After passing the required tests, the MN DVS will issue your CDL. You did it! Congratulations!

Minnesota Military Veterans and CDLs

The FMCSA has established a program that is designed to help veterans acquire a CDL. The military skills test waiver allows certain current or recently discharged service members to skip the skills and road test portion of the CDL process if they can provide the appropriate paperwork.

Minnesota CDL Medical Requirements

To obtain your CDL in the state of Minnesota, you are required to complete different medical forms, such as the Medical Examination Report (Form 649-F) and the Commercial Driver’s License Self-Certification Form (Form PS33203).

The Medical Examination Report must be completed by you and your physician. The self-certification form can be completed solely by you. You can submit these completed forms in person when you apply for your CDL or fax them to the MN DVS at (651) 297-4447. You can also mail these forms to:

Driver and Vehicle Services Division

445 Minnesota St

Ste 175

Saint Paul, MN 551014

You may also be eligible for a waiver from the FMCSA or the MN Department of Transportation (DOT) for the following physical requirements:

  • Vision
  • Deaf and hard of hearing
  • Insulin-dependent diabetes
  • Limb impairment

You can contact the Midwestern FMCSA office at (708) 283-3577 for instructions on how to obtain one of the above waivers. If you require a waiver for one of the above requirements, you must take it with you to the MN DVS office when you apply for your CDL.

Minnesota Commercial Driver’s License Classifications

Different classes of commercial driver’s licenses are established by the FMCSA which allows the holder to operate different types of commercial vehicles. In Minnesota, the DVS office has specific age designations for each class of CDL, including:

  • Class A CDL – allows you to operate multiple vehicles that exceed a certain weight. You must be at least 18 years old to qualify for this license in Minnesota.
  • Class B CDL – allows you to operate a single vehicle that exceeds a certain weight. You must be at least 17 years old.
  • Class C CDLs – this license covers all other types of commercial vehicles not included in Class A or Class B CDL. Operators with this class of CDL are required to hold at least 1 endorsement out of the following:
    • HAZMAT endorsement
    • Passenger Transport endorsement
    • School bus endorsement

This can NOT be the ONLY endorsement on a Class C commercial driver’s license.

CDL Endorsements and Restrictions in Minnesota

An endorsement on your MN CDL is an additional certification you can add to your CDL. Endorsements allow you to operate a greater number of vehicles. You must take a separate written test for each endorsement you wish to add to your CDL and pay an extra fee.

You can obtain an MN CDL endorsement for:

  • HAZMAT vehicles
  • Passenger vehicles/school buses
  • Double or triple trailers
  • Tank vehicles

The state of Minnesota has specific instructions for applying for each type of endorsement. If you have a DVS School Bus Waiver, you must take it with you when you apply for your CDL. Restrictions may be placed on your license that limit the number of vehicles you can operate. You may receive a restricted CDL if:

  • You can’t drive a manual transmission
  • You can’t operate full-air brakes
  • You take your CDL test in the wrong class of commercial vehicle

CDL Fees in Minnesota

The MN DVS currently charges the following fees for CDLs and related services:

  • Class A CDL:
    • Drivers under 21 years old: $30.25
    • All other drivers: $50.25
  • Class B CDL: $42.25
  • Class C CDL: $35.25
  • School bus endorsement processing fee: $4
  • Endorsement exam fees: $2.50 each

Federal Self-Certification Requirements

You are required to self-certify the type of vehicle you’re operating with the MN DVS, which means you are required to self-certify one of the following driving categories:

  • Non-Excepted Interstate
  • Excepted Interstate
  • Non-Excepted Intrastate
  • Excepted Intrastate

Applying for a Minnesota Motorcycle License

For a lot of people, there’s nothing better than enjoying the open road on a motorcycle. Before you can enjoy yourself, the road, and your motorcycle, there are different steps you need to take.

New Residents of Minnesota

Once you move to Minnesota, you have a maximum of 60 days after you establish residency in this state to transfer your out-of-state license. If you want to transfer your motorcycle endorsement along with your out-of-state license, you need to visit your local MN DVS office and pass the Minnesota knowledge tests for your driver’s license and motorcycle endorsement. You will also need to pay the $29 motorcycle endorsement fee and the $31.25 driver’s license fee.

How to Obtain a Motorcycle License in Minnesota

To qualify for an MN motorcycle license endorsement, you must:

  • Be over 16 years old (applicants who are under 18 years old, must complete a Minnesota Motorcycle Safety Center (MMSC) basic rider course.
  • Have a valid MN driver’s license
  • Pass a written knowledge test (you will be issued a motorcycle learner’s permit after passing the test
  • Pass a motorcycle skills test (if you are under 18 years old, you can obtain a skills test waiver by completing a basic rider course

Motorcycle Permits in Minnesota

A motorcycle permit allows you to practice riding your motorcycle under certain conditions. To receive your motorcycle permit, you need to visit your local MN DVS office and:

  • Present your MN driver’s license (you can complete the basic rider course with a standard learner’s permit, but you must have a full driver’s license to receive your motorcycle permit)
  • Complete the motorcycle knowledge test (you can only take 1 test per day. There is a retesting fee of $10 for the 3rd exam and any subsequent tests)
  • If you are under 18 years of age, you need to provide the MN  DVS with a basic rider course Certificate of Completion
  • Pay the $29 permit fee

Once you pay the fee and pass the necessary exams, the MN DVS office will issue your permit.

Minnesota Permit Limitations

Minnesota motorcycle permit holders must always wear a Department of Transportation (DOT)- approved helmet and eye protection while riding.

Permit holders in Minnesota CAN NOT:

  • Carry passengers
  • Ride on an interstate at night
  • Ride ANYWHERE between – 30 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes before sunrise

Your Minnesota motorcycle permit will be valid for 1 year. If your permit expires before you complete the licensing process, you must retake your written exam and repay the permit fee.

Motorcycle Skills Test

After you’ve practiced with your motorcycle permit and you’re ready, you can schedule your road test at an MN DVS exam station. You need to take the following with you:

  • MN driver’s license
  • Motorcycle permit (riders who are under 18 years of age are also required to bring a certificate of course completion from a state-approved rider training program
  • Properly equipped, insured, and registered motorcycle
  • DOT-approved helmet and eye protection

If you need to retake the test, there is a $20 fee upon the 3rd exam and any subsequent tests. This fee must be paid via money order, cash, or check. Debit and credit cards are NOT accepted. You may be able to waive your skills exam.

Motorcycle Skills Test Waiver

If you are at least 18 years old, you can earn a motorcycle skills test waiver by completing an approved basic rider course. Completion of the basic rider course requires you to pass the course’s skill test. If you fail 2 exams, you must take the 3rd exam and any subsequent tests with the MN DVS.

Obtaining Your Minnesota Motorcycle Endorsement

After meeting the requirements, the MN DVS will issue you a motorcycle endorsement. You must apply for a duplicate license and pay both the duplicate license and motorcycle endorsement fees. If your driver’s license needs to be renewed, you can have your endorsement added when you apply for your license renewal.

Minnesota Motorcycle Education Courses

Completion of a basic rider course is mandatory for applicants who are under 18 years old BEFORE obtaining a motorcycle permit. Participants in this course who are at least 18 years old can have their road tests waived by passing the program. To be eligible, you must already have your motorcycle permit.

To participate in a basic rider course, you must:

  • Register directly with the course location of your choice
  • Complete a Minnesota Motorcycle Safety Course Waiver and Indemnification – click here to download this form (this course waiver must include your parent’s or legal guardian’s signature if you are under 18 years of age).
  • Pay the $245 course fee

This course is intended to serve novice and new motorcycle riders. Motorcycles are provided. However, you are required to bring protective gear. Classroom and on-road instruction will cover the following:

  • Stopping
  • Clutch control
  • Risk management
  • Maximum braking
  • Counter-steering

Once you complete the course-issued tests, you will be issued a certificate of completion that you need to take to the MN DVS.

Minnesota Motorcycle License Fees

The Minnesota DVS division charges the following for motorcycle licenses and related services:

  • Motorcycle instruction permit: $29
  • Motorcycle endorsement: $29
  • Duplicate driver’s license: $17
  • Basic Rider course: $245
  • Standard (Class D) driver’s license (for out-of-state transfers): $31.25

Minnesota DVS Locations

There are many MN DVS locations. We took the time to list different MN DVS locations to help you get a head start on obtaining your license. Check out our list and find a DVS location near you.

Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services – Saint Paul Branch
445 Minnesota St.
Ste 1500
Saint Paul, MN 55101
(651) 297-2126
Call for business hours

Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services – Eagan Branch
2070 Cliff Rd
Eagan, MN 55122
(651) 297-2126
Call for business hours

Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services – Saint Cloud Branch
705 Courthouse Sq.
Saint Cloud, MN 56303
(320) 656-6540
Call for business hours

You now know everything you need to obtain your driver’s license, a commercial driver’s license, or a motorcycle license in the state of Minnesota. We hope we’ve helped. It’s time to go and get your Minnesota license. Good luck!

Leave a Reply